Sunday, January 4, 2009

Visas, Visas

I'm chilling for a few extra days in Vientiane before I begin my travels to Vietnam and Cambodia, squaring away loose ends with work and picking the brains of friends who have traveled to both places.

Getting my tourist visas has been easy. I got my Vietnam visa last week simply by popping into the Vietnam Embassy in Vientiane (no line), paying US $45 cash, and coming back two days later to pick up the sticker.

Just now, I placed my online order for a Cambodia e-visa for US $25 ($20 for visa + $5 processing). Granted, the photo I uploaded is horrid, but how memorable will it be to print out and staple that visa into my passport!

The post-it note pictured above amounts to a local visa that I had to get when I spent the week at Pee's house for Hmong New Year. Foreigners cannot stay in a Lao home without permission from the government, so Pee's father brought my passport in to get my "visa" written out by the village chief and stamped by the local authority board.

1 comment:

megat said...

  I think your blog is really interesting ... especially this post :)