Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Frankenbike is a Winner!

And now, introducing my fiery steed, the winner that has made my daily commute possible.

I've been peddling this little rental baby (~$1.75/day) since Day 2 of work, braving the Vientiane roads with its tuk-tuks, sawngthaews, imported cars, and motorbikes -- many sputtering lung-burning black exhaust. My smoker's cough scares everyone at the office and in restaurants, but I guess it's good to know that people here recognize that a hacking cough is not good to be around...pulling straws to link my influenza health seeking behavior study here!

The route is pretty treacherous, particularly around Patuxai (below), Vientiane's own Arc de Triomphe. The arch's plaza forms an island around which a huge rotary spins, and vehicles just don't know how to merge or change lanes properly! My winner and I've been cut off by more motorbikes and trucks than we'd like.

But no, not for much longer! I had my first motorbike lesson from Monica today. Cruised up and down the dirt path in front of the CARE office today in 1st gear. Tomorrow I'm graduating to 2nd gear, and by week's end, I'm upgrading from Frankenbike to motorbike, baby!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Ellen!

Your blog is so great, I love reading about all your adventures! Lao looks so beautiful. I am amazed you get to ride a motorbike! I was told I'd get kick out of UG in a hearbeat if I road a boda-boda (motorbike taxi) here! :(

LOL - about the hacking pollution cough/spread of influenza twist!

PS: How do you get the captions on your slide shows? I still cant figure that trick out! such a great feature :)