Friday, November 28, 2008

IMA-MAMA!

On Thanksgiving Day, Monica found a litter of 5 less-than-one-week old kittens in the cupboard of the CARE office. We think someone left the door open, and the mum came in to give birth. But when she left for food, she couldn't get back in. Monica put them in a box and got puppy's milk from the veterinarian for them. I was so joyous to have these furry visitors that I plopped the box on my desk and gazed/cooed at them in lieu of lunch (exactly between 12pm and 1pm). The fuzziness was quite very soul-nourishing after this stressful week at work.

We set the box outside in the late afternoon, and the mum cat actually came back for them -- even after we had touched them. I'd heard that mother animals wouldn't touch their young if they smelled human scent on them, so I'm glad that wasn't the case here. However, now we'll have a bunch more feral cats running around.

But this morning, we found that she had left behind the runt (the black one underneath the calicos). So in my excited state, I volunteered to be Mama Cat for the weekend!! This, of course, means no sleep -- which I fully acknowledge at 2am. Maybe I'll give you another update at 4am. My first experience taking care of "a baby." And I pray it goes well until we see his first poop (and know all his insides are functioning properly). THEN maybe we'll name him!

(Anne, I'm doing this for you. ;-P. Just kidding!)

2 comments:

Anne said...

Aww. HOw sweet!

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like the blog.
It is beautiful.
Sorry not write more, but my English is bad writing.
A hug from Portugal