Thursday, November 13, 2008

Who me? An epidemiologist??

Sooo, have I failed to mention why I'm actually here in Laos? If so, it's probably because it's taken me this long to get a handle on what I'm supposed to be doing. Basically, CDC is a donor agency for CARE Lao, and I'm here to support a project to build local research capacity and increase the knowledge base surrounding influenza and health behavior of the Lao people. I function as a consultant to CARE Lao and the local school of public health.

Work has picked up dramatically since I started writing up the research protocol two weeks ago, and now that I've just gotten off a technical consult call with CDC, I've realized that the next two weeks will be even crazier as I hurtle towards the December deadline of having the protocol complete and translated so we can submit for IRB approval on both the U.S. and Lao sides. Wahoo!

So, target populations, sampling strategy, census data, sample size calculations, cluster analysis...here I come!! UMSPH should be proud. ;-p

P.S. Next week, I'm going into the field to one of our study sites in Sayabouli Province up north. I will observe nutritional assessment and mobile health clinic activities in the mountainous region (read: cold) bordering Thailand. The villages are all of the Prai ethnic minority group. Should have an interesting report for you when I return!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Make Hal proud! ;)

Unknown said...

Lourdes and I were just talking about you. We are happy you are finally doing some work ;)