Friday, December 5, 2008

Birthday Girl!

It's midnight, and happy birthday to me! I've wondered for months what it would be like to turn 30 in Laos. And I think...it actually feels THE SAME...as it would...in the U.S.!! My god!!

Delirium! I have a lot to accomplish at work tomorrow since I've been out on my back ill for most of the week, but after the work day finishes... Monica and I are having a PARTY! We'll start at the Lao Garden restaurant with her farewell party, to which she has invited colleagues from all the international NGOs and government authorities she has worked with during her time here. Then we will morph into my birthday party...which may include bowling, karaoke, dancing with DJ Pierre, who knows. I've already put down $30 for a big chocolate cake for the group. 30 is a good number.

This weekend is also my last "free" and complete weekend in Laos, so I'm planning to head up to Vang Vieng, the backpacker's paradise in Laos. It's also a shroom (and other delights) haven, so in an effort to avoid all that debauchery, I've booked a room at the Vang Vieng Organic Mulberry Farm that grows mulberry trees for tea and silk. "Mr. T" tells me that
"during the weekend the YOUTH CENTER is active you can participate the
Ethnic Sawing Club, Computer class, guitar class and in the everning
dancing class."
That combined with some handpicked Vang Vieng kayaking, rafting, or trekking should make for a fun birthday weekend and a much needed break from myself!

1 comment:

aka Mooch said...

Happy Birthday! You are not 30 yet in the US...so happy early birthday. How fantastic is it that you are spending it in Laos. We will just have to celebrate it again when you come back to the US and then travel abroad again for my 30th! whoo hoo!