Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Lao Christmas

25 December is just another day in Laos. But for expat offices, like CARE and the U.S. Embassy, Christmas is a free day. WOohoo! However, I spent the better part of today working on the protocol, but the good news is...I FINISHED IT!! I am absolutely ecstatic. I've been the picture of stress for the past month, and today on the way to drinks by the Mekong was the first time in a looooong while that I could bike along and enjoy the scenery of Laos. Nice.

I met up with Hannah and Irwin, and two of Hannah's new French rock climbing buddies whom I'll call Lili and Bertie (since we're having trouble saying their names). A nice chilled out time by the river, Kopjay Deu, and Jazzy Brick.


Tomorrow morning I'm heading with my little brother Peexiong to his hometown of Kilometer 52 in Vientiane Province for Hmong New Year. I'll stay at Peexiong's house, and his mom will find a traditional Hmong dress for me to wear. I look forward to seeing all the customs, rituals, and celebrations. It's supposed to be a time for courting among the young folk as well...something about throwing a ball around to each other.

So we're off to a healthy holiday season start. And on behalf of everyone in Laos and my favorite young gentlemen from Parkview, I wish everyone a very merry Christmas and safe, warm holiday season among family and friends!!


No comments: